Reproductive Freedom Project -
It is very important to know your legal rights if you decide to seek a court order. Your have the right to:
- A Speedy Process: The judge must reach a decision quickly—within 72 hours (3 days) of when your case is filed in court. Often, the judge will decide immediately.
- A Lawyer: If you don’t have a lawyer, the court must appoint one. It is best to go to court with a lawyer. The clinic or one of the organizations listed in this brochure will help get you a lawyer.
- Free Court Costs: If you sign a form saying you can’t pay court costs, you won’t have to pay for either the court costs or the lawyer.
- Confidentiality: No one should ever know you have been to court asking for permission to get an abortion. You have a legal right to go to court instead of telling a parent about your decision to have an abortion.
- Answers to Questions: There should be someone in the circuit or district court clerk’s office who can answer your questions, either in person by phone. Never hesitate to ask questions. Your lawyer also can answer your questions.